Looking Back & Moving Forward
Back in April of 2015 I started this blog to express my thoughts, views and experiences. I kept it primarily to book related topics such as reviews and hauls, even though I said in my first ever post “Get To Know Me” that I also wanted to share my life (or parts of my life) with you.
Looking back at all the things I said I wanted to do when I started this blog, I did accomplish some of them. Here are some of the things I wanted to do:
- The main goal I had for this blog was posting relatively regularly – I did managed to do this for the first few months so I am proud of that! Posting regularly went downhill for me when school and life took over, resulting in all the ideas I had piling up and sadly making me more and more unmotivated to write and post again.
- Reviewing every book I read – I somehow kept up with this for longer than I thought I would and that makes me incredibly proud! I’m still terribly behind on reviews and they keep piling up so I might shorten my reviews a bit if I want to get back on schedule again. But Hakuna Matata, I know I can figure this out!
- Reviewing comics and graphic novels – yeahhh… uhmmm… I did only 2 of those and that kind of makes me sad because I freaking LOVE comics and graphic novels! And I know there are people out there who look at me for comic and graphic novel recommendations. But I think that the main reason for not reviewing more is simply because I haven’t really been reading comics and/or graphic novels.
- Posting “Follow Me Around” posts monthly – I did not technically say this in my first ever post but I did had this on my mind every time a month ended. I said that I wanted to share parts of my life with you guys and I thought the best way to do this was by introducing a “Follow Me Around” segment. I posted a total of 2 posts for this, why did I stop sharing? My life isn’t that amazing that I can’t stop talking about it but it isn’t completely uneventful either.
- Posting monthly wrap-ups – Okay, I don’t even remember why I thought this was a good idea because I also have a BookTube channel where I post my monthly wrap-ups. This basically only put more pressure on me to post stuff. If you look back at my the last wrap-up, before I disappeared for a while, I said that I won’t be doing written wrap-ups any more because it was feeling very repetitive.
- Posting book hauls – The same goes for this one; it is very repetitive when I also have a BookTube channel where I post these segments. I really need to figure out how I can make the most of this blog without it feeling repetitive to me.
So yeah, that is a pretty big list of things that I wanted to do when I first started this blog. Now that I’ve written all that down I realize that most of it was very ambitious and it’s not a wrong thing to be ambitious. However, time has shown that this long list was a bit too much for me to handle and because of this I felt overwhelmed and I nearly stopped posting all together. FYI, I suddenly remember why I love writing things down and why I love lists – BRAIN DUMP – I can write without really thinking about it and because I let my mind roam free I feel this huge barrier being lifted from my mind. AKA I start to feel alive, the same feeling I get when I’m reading! I JUST PIN-POINTED WHY I LOVE TO BLOG!!! OH MY FREAKING GOD!!! *does a happy dance* ❤
Wow, okay, calm down Merel! Lets start moving forward! The part 2 to this post if you will. Here is a list of things I want to improve on when it comes to posting:
- BRAIN DUMP – As you all just witnessed with me, brain dump is a good thing for me. When I start to type with no real goal in mind I can let my thoughts roam free and beautiful things start to happen. And I think you (and me both) are ready for a new segment on this blog: Brain Dump! I have no idea yet what this segment will be composed of but we’ll figure it out along the way.
- Changing the way I post reviews – Wanting to review every single book that I read is doable. However, the moment I “forget” to review a book the reviews start to pile up and start to stress me out. So I think it’s best for me and you both if I start introducing smaller reviews, or even putting more than 1 review in a post.
- Linking back to my BookTube Channel – I stopped writing monthly wrap-ups and posting book hauls for a reason but this doesn’t give me the right to leave my lovely readers in the dark. So I want to start linking back to my videos when I filmed a wrap-up and/or book haul. This way I won’t get repetitive with writing down what I said hours ago in the video AND you still get to enjoy my wrap-ups and book hauls! WIN-WIN!
That’s it! I only want to actively change/improve on those 3 points and I think that is enough for me. You’ve all seen what happens when I get overambitious and I want to do all the things. This way I can make this blog work for me, for us. I’m happy with everything else on my blog, sure there will be some changes in the future but for now this is enough. I’m going to leave you with my favourite quote that really shows who I am and who I want to be!
★ “I am enough, and I always will be!” ★